big data engineer (SC/P).
We’re looking for a Big Data Engineer to work side-by-side with our data science team to help implement in-house developed algorithms and provide software engineering expertise and support as required to the wider organisation.What you’ll be doing:
What we’re looking for:
- Provide technical input to system and software architecture design activities.
- Work closely with the data science team to develop a robust interface framework for the algorithms.
- Produce technical documentation covering software requirements, design specifications and test specifications.
- Develop high quality maintainable software features in accordance with the software process.
- Develop and implement sustainable developer test strategies to verify and validate software features.
- Investigate and fix issues in new and existing software/features.
- Produce prototype software features to demonstrate concepts and ideas.
- Support software platform deployments.
- Produce/update software process documentation.
- Investigate and deploy new software development tools to support software development.
It would be great if you had/ a desire to learn about:
- Strong academic background i.e. bachelor’s level in degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or similar.
- System level thinker who can quickly understand and solve complex technical problems.
- Demonstrable commercial big data engineering experience.
- Experience of applying object-oriented design principles.
- Strong Scala and Python experience.
- Strong experience with Spark.
- Strong experience with Cassandra.
- Keen to utilise up-to-date software development practices.
- Good communications skills, verbal and written.
- Self-starter, happy to work alone or as part of a team.
- Experience with R scripting language.
- Experience of working in an Agile development environment.
- Experience of test driven development.
- Experience of developing and applying automated tests.
- Experience of utilising a continuous integration approach to software development.
- Experience of software containers e.g. Docker.
- Experience of working with mobile application developers and integrating mobile applications with web services.
- Experience of applying UML to describe software designs.
- Experience of integrating software and hardware.
- Comfortable working with different software processes.
REPL is an equal opportunity employer, and we know the value of a diverse and inclusive workforce. We have very active communities for Women in Tech, Automation and Innovation and we are also closely involved with the local community. As such, we particularly encourage applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds.