software development engineer in test (SDET).
Developers-in-Test are expected to perform a developer role, with a focus on testability, robustness and performance. Applying a variety of techniques, and applying their unique experience, to review designs, analyse code quality and assess risk. You will refactor code to make it more testable, create and implement test frameworks and automated tests. They must collaborate with developers and other stakeholders to define and achieve successful delivery of high-quality software of our products and services.
As an equal opportunity employer, we recognise the value of an inclusive workforce and particularly encourage applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- To design and execute effective automated functional and regression tests in Gherkin and Cucumber using the BDD approach
- Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders, to perform business analysis and produce relevant acceptance criteria
- Ability to identify the genesis of a defect, using debugging tools), analysing stack traces, code, log-files and other artefacts such as source code
- Ability to write excellent quality object-oriented code
- To have an understanding of databases and services (e.g. RESTful services), including the ability to programmatically interact with data formats that may include XML and JSON
- To work collaboratively in multi-disciplinary teams to deliver software development projects.
- To have a broad understanding of Agile development practices including TDD & BDD and their application.
- Use and build test automation frameworks and tools
- Creating an innovative test automation phase plan for each project
- To be able to engage with key stakeholders across the organisation
- Assessing and reporting on performance and constantly looking for areas of improvement and innovation
- To provide input for the preparation of the project in own specialist area and ensure delivery against targets are met
- Organise and own any technical workshops and resulting outputs
- Facilitation of error management processes and have an input into process improvement
- Collation and circulation of quality data and metrics
- Identify opportunities to automate and streamline the process, and work with the engineering team to deliver those improvements
- Assess the testability of story work during planning meetings
- Provide continuous feedback on the product and process as required by the team
- Execute exploratory testing to evaluate the product
Skills and Experience
- Test automation tools experience such as Cucumber, Capybara, Selenium,
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS, HTTP
- Understanding of major browsers and browser development tools
- Working knowledge of version control systems to ensure version control of test/development artefacts
- Working knowledge of a CI system to create builds
- Proven level experience in a similar role
- Relevant degree level (or equivalent) qualification
- Excellent communications skills with proven experience engaging a wide range of stakeholders
- An eye for innovation coupled with a pragmatic approach to delivery within a large multisite team
- This position will require a self-starter who can lead by example and hit the ground running
- Exceptional attention to detail with an ability to prioritise workloads and deliver to tight deadlines